Stanley Thompson Society
The Library and the Stanley Thompson Society work together to archive, restore, and preserve materials that celebrate the life and works of noted golf architect Stanley Thompson. His plans, notes, contracts, photos, memorabilia, etc. collected to date and in the future will be housed in the Library's Archives and Special Collections, as part of the Centre for Canadian Landscape Architecture Archives.
The Stanley Thompson Society and other benefactors are currently raising funds for an endowment that will become part of the agreement. It will ensure preservation and retention of archived materials in perpetuity.
Stanley Thompson (1893-1953) was one of the world's leading golf course architects, renowned for this work from the 1920s to the early 1950s.
Thompson designed, remodelled, or constructed more than 140 golf courses in Canada, the United States, the Caribbean and South America. The vast majority of his work took place in Canada, including Capilano in Vancouver; Jasper and Banff in Alberta; Green Gables at Cavendish, PEI; Highlands in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia; Seigniory and Lachute in Quebec; and St. George's in Toronto.
Thompson was a founding member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects in 1947 and served as vice-president during its inaugural year. In 1980, he was posthumously elected to the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame.
The Stanley Thompson Society was founded in 1998 to research, record, and publicize his remarkable life and works.