Cancellation Notice: Canadian Research Index
TItle of Resource:
Canadian Research Index
Cost of resource:
$2,527 per year
Reasons for cancellation:
- Cost: This resource is expensive, especially considering it is only an index to the literature and does not include full-text content.
- Overlap: While this database provides abstracts for a range of materials (government publications, scientific and technical reports) useful to Guelph students and researchers, other databases and search engines have comparable subject coverage of the literature. The reports and publications which are indexed in Canadian Research Index are largely available as open access full-text online documents from the government and research institutes which produce them, and are easily found through the most common web search engines.
- Accessibility: This database indexes a microfiche collection which the Library does not subscribe to, and which is not a suitable format for online or distance education courses.
- Usage: Usage for this database is relatively low, indicating that researchers are searching elsewhere for this type of content, or going elsewhere to access full-text of the publications that are referenced in it.
Date access will cease:
- Canadian Business and Current Affairs (CBCA): Contains trade journals, journal articles, magazines, books, newspapers, reports in the areas of business, current events, and reference.
- Canadian Public Policy Collection: Contains books from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think-tanks, university research centres, and other public interest groups.
- Canadian Health Research Collection: Contains books from Canadian research institutes, government agencies and university centres working in the area of health and medical research.
- GALLOP (Government and Legislative Libraries Online Publications) Portal: Full-text searchable electronic government documents collected by Legislative libraries in Canada for their jurisdictions.
- Policy File Index: Information on public policy issues with indexing and linking to the output of over 350 think tanks and similar organizations.
- Politics Collection: Covers political science and public policy.
- Proquest Theses and Dissertatons: Indexing and full-text for over 2 million doctoral and master's theses completed at accredited North American and select European universities.
- Statistics Canada: High-quality statistical information about Canada’s population, resources, economy, society, and culture
- Theses Canada: Free access to Canadian electronic theses and dissertations.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Criteria for Cancellation of Electronic Resources
Cancellation decisions are in most cases based on one or more of the following criteria:
- Cost: The inflationary costs of scholarly information continue to rise annually. In addition, the Library’s budget is particularly impacted by currency fluctuations (over half of the Library’s scholarly resources are paid for in U.S. funds)
- Overlap: Significant content overlap with other Library resources
- Usage: Past usage of the resource by University of Guelph (including University of Guelph Humber) students, faculty and staff