Touchstone Tours UX Study
In November 2018, the UX Team asked users to take us on tours of the library to help us improve our spaces
- How do students experience the 1st and 2nd floors of the library?
- We asked 8 different students to lead us on tours of the library and share their impressions, knowledge, and personal opinions about different features of the 1st and 2nd floors of the library. We asked them prompting questions along the way to clarify and further explore responses.
- We conducted brief interviews with a standardized interview script before and after each tour.
What did we Learn?
- The most pressing concern for students was having access to quiet study space
- Most participants identified and were able to explain the Ask Us Desk, IT Help Desk, and Writing Services
- Most participants were satisfied with the level of service provided by the Ask Us Desk, and reflected positively on the location, aesthetics, and efficiency of service
- Participants were less likely to point out and describe the Research Help Desk (RHD), or 2nd floor specialized service points such as the Archives, DRC, Scholars Studio, and THINC Lab
- Most of the participants liked the look and feel of the 2nd floor, citing its modern and “open” aesthetic
- Improve signage for specialized spaces on the second floor. Explain the purpose, who is permitted, and how to use each space.
- Focus attention on creating a more inviting atmosphere through our spaces.
- Create more quiet study space. This is a major concern for students. It is what they need most from their library.
Year of Study: