Mac McLoughry was born and raised on a beef farm near Markdale in Grey County, worked 42 years with the Ontario Department of Agriculture and was made an Alumnus of Honour in 1984 by the Alumni Association of the University of Guelph. At the end of his third year in school, in 1916, Mac got the opportunity to work as an Assistant Agriculture Representative in Lanark County. WWI was on and Manpower was in short supply. It was in Lanark that Mac learned to drive a car. While lecturing short courses, he decided he wanted to be an Agricultural Representative.
In 1918, Mac’s father and brother took sick and he returned to help at home during the summer. That summer, he also worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) to make the rail stations look better through better landscaping.
Mac graduated in 1922 from the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) and was appointed as Assistant Agriculture Representative in Victoria County. He was later appointed Agricultural Representative in Waterloo County where he remained for 27 years.
While in Waterloo, Mac developed a great rapport and understanding with the Mennonite and Amish farmers of the county. During those years, he carried on the school fairs started by his predecessor, Frank Hart; promoted tile drainage; promoted soil and water conservation; educated farmers about the problem of nematodes; set up a swine testing program; and helped develop work in artificial insemination (AI).
In the early years of AI, research was needed on ways to extend the life of semen. Mac convinced the Honourable Tom Kennedy, Minister of Agriculture, to make the necessary funds available to Dr. McNabb at the Ontario Veterinary College (O.V.C.) to carry out the research.
Mac was transferred from Waterloo County to OAC in a new position as Associate Director of Extension to provide liaison between research and extension. This position lasted for 12 years. In 1964, at age 70, Mac retired after spending one year as Director of Extension.