The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres is the only remaining “double decker” Edwardian styled theatre in the world. In 1913, construction began on the theatres and they opened in 1914. The Elgin focused on Vaudeville performances while the Winter Garden focused on more upscale events. The theatres were in operation for 14 years before closing. The Elgin was made into a cinema whereas the Winter Garden fell into disuse. In 1981, the venue was purchased by the Ontario Heritage Foundation and is now considered a national historic site.
Included in this collection are photographs, reports, clippings, and other items relating to these two Toronto theatres (which opened in 1913 and 1914, respectively) and the 1987 restoration project.
12 cm of textual and visual materials.
No further accruals expected.