Collection of photographs relating to the Howitt Family, ca. 1870-1950, scrapbooks and genealogical material.
John Howitt, born at Long Eaton, Derbyshire, came to Guelph in 1832. He purchased over 500 acres of land in Guelph Township known as “The Grange”, where he resided until his death in 1881, and 800 acres in Puslinch along with a whole herd of thoroughbred short-horn cattle.
John Howitt was the 1st President of the Guelph Agricultural Society, and a member of the 1st Guelph Township Council. Henry Howitt was a brother of John Howitt. After his death in 1874 in England, his widow, Jane Howitt, returned with her family to Guelph and purchased the residence on Waterloo Avenue, known as “Homewood”.
Henry Orton, a nephew of John and Henry Howitt, became one of the earliest doctors to practice in Guelph.