Dissertation Boot Camp
What is Dissertation Boot Camp (DBC)?
This intensive one-week (Monday to Friday, 8:45am-4:00pm) program is designed to help graduate students accomplish their thesis writing goals and accelerate their time to completion. DBC offers graduate students focused and supported individual time to write, as well as lessons on writing issues and access to one-on-one support with writing experts.
Writing Services offers DBC once every semester: in December, April, and June (or July). Each program accommodates 28-40 students per program.
*Please note: During COVID, DBC will be offered fully online.
When will the next DBC be offered?
Monday, April 19th - Friday, April 23rd, 2021
*Please note: participants are expected to attend all 5 days of the program.
What can you expect as a participant?
- Learn and practice good writing habits during morning and afternoon individual writing sessions
- Consult with our writing staff during individual check-in appointments to address any specific writing concerns and/or help create a personal writing plan
- Meet with staff from Learning Services and Research & Scholarship to access support for data management, time management, and publishing
- Participate in mandatory and optional writing workshops hosted over the course of the week (Mindful Ways of Writing; Thesis Structures and Thesis Mapping; Time Management and Goal Setting; Grammar and Style; Writing the Literature Review; Electronic Theses and Dissertations Submissions; and Author Rights)
- Engage with fellow students to share experiences and survival strategies
How are participants selected?
This program accepts applications from graduate students who:
- Have finished their coursework
- Have had their Thesis Proposal accepted (if this is their department's requirement)
- Need focused time and space for writing
- Have already started writing their MA thesis or PhD dissertation
Preference is given to PhD Candidates and to students at the Master's level who are enrolled in a thesis-based program. Preference is also given to those who have participated in our Brain Food: Getting Started on your Thesis workshop and who have not attended a previous DBC.
How do I apply?
- Complete the DBC Application Form
- Deadline for application: Monday, March 22, 2021
Missed the deadline?
Writing Services receives over 100 applications each semester for this program. Therefore, they are unable to process late applications. If the application form has closed, it will open again shortly for the next program.
What do participants say about DBC?
Check out this short video on the University of Guelph's Dissertation Boot Camp (DBC) program.
Questions? Ask Us!