Virtual Writing Cafe
The Virtual Writing Café is an online space where writers can set aside distractions and join a campus-wide community who are all focusing on their writing and research projects. Every Monday morning, Writing Services hosts an online writing space that you can join from anywhere, whether you are on campus, doing fieldwork abroad, or signing in from your local coffee shop. Each session lasts 2.5 hours with set times for goal setting, writing sprints, regular breaks, and even some socializing!
The Café uses the Pomodoro method to help you focus while making time for you to check in with your body and re-evaluate your goals for the session. We know that some people work better in short bursts, while others dislike frequent interruptions. For this reason, the Café is divided into two “areas” (breakout rooms). You will have the ability to choose your own area based on whether you prefer 25-minute or 50-minute working blocks. In the 25/5 room, you will work for 25 minutes, then break for 5 minutes. In the 50/10 room, you will work for 50 minutes, then take a slightly longer break for 10 minutes.
What can you expect as a participant?
- Regular, focused, protected writing time
- Goal setting
- Opportunities to share tips, tricks, and experiences
- Connection with other writers in a safe, courteous, supportive community
Community Code of Conduct
When you join the Virtual Writing Café, we ask that you:
- Communicate respectfully with your host and other participants
- Contribute to the goal-setting board to build accountability and track your progress
- When appropriate, share ideas and strategies to help others grow as writers
- Attend as many sessions as you reasonably can
- Take responsibility for your own technology
- Avoid distracting others
- Mute your microphone
- Enter and leave your writing room quietly
- Use the chat to communicate with each other
- Optional: keep your camera on for accountability and encouragement!
Who can participate?
All students, staff, and faculty at the University of Guelph are welcome to attend. Whether you are working on an undergraduate paper, a dissertation, a grant proposal, a cover letter, or even writing a novel for fun, we would love to see you at the Virtual Writing Café.
What do I need to participate?
- Audio/video-capable device (computer or mobile phone)
- The Zoom app
- Meeting info (available after registration using the link below)
- A writing project
How do I join?
Register online through the Library Events Calendar.
Questions? Ask Us!