The Virtual Writing Café is an online space where writers can set aside distractions and join a campus-wide community who are all focusing on their writing and research projects. Every week, Writing Services hosts an online writing space to help you connect with a supportive community of writers. Each session lasts 2.5 hours with set times for goal setting, writing sprints, and regular breaks.
The Café uses the Pomodoro method to help you focus while making time for you to re-evaluate your goals for the session.
What can you expect as a participant?
- Regular, focused, protected writing time
- Goal setting
- Opportunities to share tips, tricks, and experiences
- Connection with other writers in a safe, courteous, and supportive community
Community Code of Conduct
When you join the Virtual Writing Café, we ask that you:
- Communicate respectfully with your host and other participants
- Contribute to the goal-setting board to build accountability and track your progress
- When appropriate, share ideas and strategies to help others grow as writers
- Attend as many sessions as you reasonably can
- Take responsibility for your own technology
- Avoid distracting others
- Mute your microphone
- Enter and leave your writing room quietly
- Use the chat to communicate with each other
- Optional: keep your camera on for accountability and encouragement!
Who can participate?
All students, staff, and faculty at the University of Guelph are welcome to attend. Whether you are working on an undergraduate paper, a dissertation, a grant proposal, a cover letter, or even writing a novel for fun, we would love to see you at the Virtual Writing Café.
What do I need to participate?
- Audio/video-capable device (computer or mobile phone)
- The Zoom app
- Meeting info (available after registration using the link below)
- A writing project
How do I join?
Register online through the Library Events Calendar.
Questions? Ask Us!