The McLaughlin Library building houses the largest public computing facility on campus comprised of desktop workstations.
Accessing Public Computers
All Library public computers require that you login in order to use them. Login to any Library public computer using your Central Login Account, the same login and password you use for your University of Guelph email account.
If you're visiting us and don't have a central login account:
Visit us at the Ask Us desk and request a daily guest account to access the Library public computers
Provide a piece of government-issued photo ID and fill out a quick form to get a guest account good for unlimited public computer access for the day
Use any of the following methods to save files while working on one of the Library's public computers:
- USB Flash Drive
- E-mail to yourself
- Files can be saved temporarily to the S: drive. Please note: contents of the S: drive are cleared overnight
- Do not save files to the Desktop or C: drive as they will be lost when the computer reboots
- Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) save copies of work every 10 minutes (autobackup) to the D: drive.
- To restore files after a reboot/power failure go to the D: drive and double-click on the most recent appropriately named file
- Contents of the D: drive are cleared overnight
Selected Software List
Our public computers contain many software applications which are required by various courses. See below for a list of selected software titles installed on the computers in the Library:
Jaws and Zoomtext are on all computers throughout the library. For more information on adaptive software please see Library Accessiblity Services
R, SPSS, SAS, and Matlab are available on all computers in the library
ESRI, ArcView, ArcGIS are available in the Data Resource Centre
ArcGIS is available on all public computers in the Library
Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access are available on all Library public computers
Adobe Reader are available on all Library public computers