Alumni Weekend at the Library
U of G’s Alumni Weekend is quickly approaching, and with that, we want to share some of the activities we’ve been planning to help you celebrate your time at U of G. This year, the library is hosting the first ever welcome reception, which takes place on Friday, June 22, from 4:00pm to 6:00pm with remarks beginning at 4:30pm. Hors d’oeuvres will be served and there will be a cash bar.
The reception will take place in the Robert Whitelaw room on the second floor of the library, next to our new Archival & Special Collections place, which houses an exhibit gallery and reading room. The exhibit that is currently on display in the exhibit gallery is, From Glen Notes to War Notes: A Canadian Perspective on the First World War in Rilla of Ingleside.
The library is participating in this year’s Open Doors event, and will have a number of spaces where alumni can tour to learn more about our new spaces and how they work to serve the U of G community. Open Doors takes place on Friday, June 22, from 1:00pm to 3:00pm, and on Saturday, June 23, from 9:00am to 11:00am.
Spaces on display:
- Scholars Studio
- Media Studio
- Archival & Special Collections
- First floor exhibit space
Scholars Studio (Located on the second floor of the library - follow Open Doors signage)
- A space that is focused on digital scholarship
- Come to the Scholars Studio during Open Doors to see data visualizations, make a button out of old maps, and learn about how the library supports digital scholars
Media Studio (Located on the second floor of the library - follow Open Doors signage)
- A space focused on digital literacy and exploration
- Visit the Media Studio to chat with staff and participate in filming a short video reminiscent of your time here at U of G (optional participation, you can also just pop by to see what’s going on!)
Archival & Special Collections (Located on the second floor of the library - follow Open Doors signage)
- A space to discover history using primary resources
- Stop in to view the most recent exhibition, to speak with staff, and view the new space
First Floor Exhibit Space Featuring an Exhibit Curated for you! (Located on the first floor of the library - follow Open Doors signage)
- An exhibit has been curated especially for alumni and will be on display for Alumni Weekend
- The exhibit features cases on the multiple layers of early student experiences at U of G, including: Academics, athletics, and social life, as well as the Cannon, and the McLaughlin Library’s 50th anniversary