Cancellation Notice: China Data Online (China Data Center)
Rationale for Cancellation of Library Resource
January 11, 2016
Title of resource: China Data Online (China Data Center)
Cost of resource: $6,750 USD ($9,450 CAD)
Reasons for cancellation:
- Low number of uses based on vendor provided data for the last several years (less than 100 logins in the past year)
- Extensive overlap with other data sources (see below)
- Input from staff working in the Library's Data Resources Centre (DRC)
Date access will cease: March 1, 2016
- Source OECD
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU.com)
- UNData (United Nations Database)
- University of Guelph Research Data Repository (Dataverse)
- See our data & maps page for additional information on finding statistics and data.
If you have any questions or concerns about this resource cancellation, please contact us.
General Criteria for Cancellation of Electronic Resources
Cancellation decisions are in most cases based on one or more of the following criteria:
- Cost: The inflationary costs of scholarly information continue to rise annually. In addition, the Library’s budget is particularly impacted by currency fluctuations (over half of the Library’s scholarly resources are paid for in U.S. funds)
- Overlap: Significant content overlap with other Library resources
- Usage: Past usage of the resource by University of Guelph (including University of Guelph Humber) students, faculty and staff
- Scholarly need: Alignment of a resource with the University’s curricular and research programs; The scholarly importance of the resource (its centrality to the discipline and to accreditation requirements); the Library will prioritize keeping full-text (e.g. journal subscriptions) over indexes (e.g. databases that index and find articles)
The decision to cancel a resource is made only after considerable discussion and exploration of alternatives - for more detailed information on the process followed, please refer to the Library's Collection Policy.