Get Exam Ready with the Library
With exams coming, we know you want to get ready...that’s where we can help! This article outlines helpful strategies, tips, and resources you can use when studying for and writing your exams.
Have exam prep questions?
Join us for an Instagram Live on Wednesday, November 25, where library learning peers will be coming to you live and answering all your studying, time management, and exam prep related questions. Follow the library on Instagram.
Manage Your Study Time
Create a study plan!
Ensure you know the format and length of each exam and the percentage of your final grade that each exam is worth. Use the percentage weighting of your exams, your exam schedule, and the amount of material you need to review to help you figure out how much time to study for each course.
Divide your available time.
Plan breaks and free time into your schedule to break up long study sessions.
Don’t forget about flex time!
Keep some daily “flex” time in your schedule — unforeseen things may come up that you will need to allocate time to.
Create a study routine.
If possible, start studying at about the same time every day, and finish studying at the same time. Routines can help you be more focused and productive.
- Instead of reading your notes silently, try verbalizing the information out loud or teach the material to someone else.
- Create visuals and diagrams to help summarize information.
- Create a concept map or mind map to organize course concepts or emphasize the relationships between concepts.
- Look for connections. Choose three concepts or terms from your course at random. Can you create a test question or explain how the three ideas are related?
- Make your own PowerPoint slides about the material you’re learning.
Sign up to receive an Activity Book
Normally, we’d be putting on a variety in-person activities for you to participate in, but since we can’t be together in person, we’ve developed an activity book for you. The best part? We’ll mail it to your house! The first 1,500 people who sign up will receive an activity book in their mailboxes.
What does it include?
- Colouring pages
- Sudoku puzzles
- Study strategies
- Breathing techniques
- And more!
Curious about what it’s like?
Check it out online! If you don’t get one of the 1,500 printed copies, you can download a copy and print it out yourself.
Book a Studying and Time Management Appointment
If you want some one-on-one guidance or support to develop a strong study plan for exams, consider booking an online studying or time management appointment. At the appointment, you can learn about:
- How to maintain motivation and stay organized
- How to be efficient and effective with your studying
- How to interpret and learn from tests
- Anti-procrastination strategies
- And more!
We have so many online resources to help you prepare for all types of exams, including:
Want tips on studying effectively? We have those, too!
Ask us. We’re here to help.