Join Us for the Virtual Open Scholarship Open House
On Tuesday, April 13, 2021, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., we're hosting a virtual Open Scholarship Open House, and you're invited! We'll be joined by Philippe Mongeon from Dalhousie University, who will give a talk on his experience in scholarly communication as an open access researcher and practitioner and will present his vision for the transformation of scholarly communication moving forward.
Following Mongeon's talk, we’ll take questions and have conversations about open scholarship from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. We’re excited to speak with you about your research, answer your questions, and open your research to the world.
Several U of G scholarly communication experts will be available, including:
- Carrie Bretton, a repository specialist at the library who supports researchers in preparing their scholarly work for deposit in the Atrium, U of G’s Institutional Repository, and the University of Guelph Research Data Repositories, including: the Agri-environmental Research Data Repository and University of Guelph Research Data Repository.
- Pam Jacobs, a librarian on the Research & Scholarship team who specializes in open access initiatives, open collections, and policy development.
- Wayne Johnston, a librarian on the Research & Scholarship team who supports researchers through programs and supports for research data management, open journal hosting, and personal research identifiers.
- Christopher Popovich, a librarian on the Research & Scholarship team who supports researchers with scholarly communication and knowledge translation, including open access, author rights, tri-agency policy, and research metrics.
- Ali Versluis, an open educational resources librarian on the Research & Scholarship team who educates and liaises with the University community on open content, licensing, and student-centred pedagogy.
If you have questions, we’re happy to address them. Here are some examples of questions we can help with:
- I want to make my work open, where do I start?
- Why should I care about making my work open?
- I’m ready to publish, how can I retain my author rights?
- Which creative commons license should I choose for my work?
- I notice you don’t have a fund for Article Processing Charges (APCs), why? Are there any discounts on APCs?
- How does the library support Open Access Journal Hosting?
- How can I provide open textbooks and other educational materials to my students?
- How can I deposit scholarly work in the Atrium or the U of G Research Data Repository?
- How does the library support research data management? How do I create a plan?
- How can the library assist with the creation and integration of researcher identifiers such as ORCiD and ResearcherID?
- What about research metrics? Can the library help with these?
We hope you can join us and look forward to speaking with you. Register for the open house.