What to Expect from the Library this September
We look forward to welcoming you to U of G this fall and will be resuming some services on Thursday, September 10, 2020.
We have been working hard alongside campus partners to develop a plan for the fall that will provide you with more opportunity to use the library and its resources, while continuing to keep the U of G community safe. We ask that you only visit the library if you need to and encourage you to continue to work or study from home as much as you can as we will have limited capacity. If you do need to come to the library, be sure to check the University’s Return to Campuses website first for guidance on protocols to follow when coming to campus.
Here's what to expect if you visit the library this fall:
- Access to the building will be restricted to the first and second floor of the building.
- You will use your U of G ID card to enter the building; only one person will be allowed to enter the building at a time to allow for appropriate physical distancing. Only one door will be accessible for entering the library – the accessible entrance off Winegard Walk.
- Building capacity for the two floors will be capped at 209 users.
- Face coverings are required in the library and physical distancing guidelines will be in effect.
Library hours beginning Thursday, September 10, 2020
- Monday to Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturdays - closed
- Sundays 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Library services, resources, and spaces
Study space (tables, carrels, public computers) is available on a first-come first-served basis, except for grad students who can book an assignable closed study.
Bookable study space
- Graduate students will be able to book one of 15 closed study offices for a 3.5 hour period each day (11 a.m. to 2:30, or 3:30 to 7 p.m.).
- The spaces will be cleaned between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. each day between uses.
Things to keep in mind:
- Supplies will be provided for you to clean your spaces before and after use.
- Seating configurations will be fixed (please do not move the furniture).
- No food or drink, except water bottles.
- Face coverings are required, and physical distancing guidelines must be followed (this means only one person per table, one person in the elevator at a time, etc.).
Access to computers
- There will be a total of 51 public computers available for use.
- Computers are located on first and second floors and are available on a first-come first-served basis.
- Instead of coming to campus, consider using remote access to library computers to use programs that you may not have on your personal computer.
Library pickup (replacing curbside pickup)
As of September 10:
- Visit the Ask Us desk to pick up your holds.
- Returns of books and other library items (with the exclusion of Course Reserves) will only be accepted in the book return bins located on the library’s loading dock. Please do not return items to the Ask Us desk to ensure the safety of our staff.
- All returned items will be quarantined for three days (72 hours) upon their return to the library.
- Print Course Reserves will be available in LIB room 109.
- Return Course Reserve items to LIB room 109, not the book return bins.
- All used Course Reserve items will be quarantined in LIB room 109 for three days (72 hours).
Printing and scanning
Printing and scanning are available in the library, but we will not be accepting cash, credit, or debit onsite. You must load money onto your printing account online via Papercut.
Archival and Special Collections
- Request a reproduction to support your research/coursework.
- Starting September 28, appointment-based access to the Reading Room to view materials in our collection (more info coming soon).
Supports offered online this fall
Workshops and programs
- We will continue to offer all programs and workshops in an online format.
- Visit our Workshops & Events calendar to view what’s upcoming.
Remote learning resources
- We have a variety of resources to support your remote learning this semester.
- Our Remote Learning Resources page provides easy access to a variety of resources that will help you as you navigate learning online.
- The library’s offsite storage and fulfillment facility, the Annex, is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Staff at the Annex are fulfilling requests for library items.
- The Annex is closed to all visitors at this time.
Beginning in September, our building will only be open for current U of G students, faculty and staff as we adjust to our new health and safety protocols. We look forward to welcoming other library users once we can manage the additional capacity.
Continue to monitor our Reopening of Library Services page to stay informed about services and spaces that are available to use.
Email us at email@example.com.