Collection of biographical data including correspondence, clippings, photographs, sketchbooks, resource files, slides, and other memorabilia relating to Guelph painter, stained glass artist and local art historian Gordon Couling.
Born in Guelph in 1913 Gordon Couling was a graduate of the Ontario College of Art who returned to Guelph to teach art from 1948 at Macdonald Institute, becoming the first chairman of the Department of Fine Art in 1965 until his retirement in 1974.
He was a noted architectural historian who encouraged the preservation of many buildings in Wellington County. Gordon Couling was also a stained glass artist and his works adorn many local churches.
Gordon Couling passed away in 1984.