Talk like an Academic
What is Talk like an Academic?
This program provides academic communication support for graduate-level students with English as an additional language (EAL). Participants are given an opportunity to learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies for interacting in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios, including:
- Summarizing and discussing research in brief interactions with fellow academics
- Interacting with professors and/or advisors
- Interacting as TAs with students
- Participating in classroom and group work discussions
- Communicating in job interviews
- Conducting presentations and thesis defenses
This program is divided into seven 2-hour workshops that run over seven weeks.
Is this program for you?
- Are you a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, or visiting scholar who speaks English as an additional language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in English language communication?
- Would you like a safe place to practice speaking and delivering a presentation or thesis defense?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
What can you expect as a participant?
Participants will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies to successfully communicate:
- With advisors and professors
- In one-on-one interactions with students (as TAs)
- In group work or classroom discussions
- In talking about your research at conferences
- At job interviews
- During presentations
- Participants will engage in practice activities, including group discussions, thesis pitches, mock interviews, and short presentations, that will allow them to learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies to apply to these academic and professional scenarios.
- Participants will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary that can be used during these scenarios.
Who can attend?
This program accepts registrations from any University of Guelph graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or visiting scholars with English as an additional language (EAL). We encourage participants to be willing and able to attend all seven weeks of this program.
When is this program offered?
Talk like an Academic is offered each Winter semester, starting in January.
How do I register?
Register for Talk like an Academic by visiting the Library Events Calendar.
Check out our other library workshops.