Material, documents and photographs belonging to Frost & Wood Co., Ltd., Smiths Falls, Ont. In 1839, the Frost & Wood Company was formed in Smiths Falls by Ebenezer Frost who opened a small shop and built a few plows. He was joined in 1846 by an iron foundry, Alex Wood. In 1894 they invented a successful binder. The Frost & Wood Association with Cockshutt Plow Company of Brantford began in 1909 when a sales arrangement was entered into by the two companies. Later Frost & Wood became a wholly affiliated subsidiary of the Cockshutt Plow Company. Frost & Wood modern and efficient agricultural machines were well and favourably known in and exported to all parts of the world. It ceased operations in 1958. During two World Wars the firm manufactured great quantities of many types of munitions and equipment. Cockshutt closed down Frost & Wood operations in 1955, and after 6 years of unsuccessful attempts to sell the plant, brought in wreckers to demolish it in 1961. Frost & Wood modern and efficient agricultural machines were well and favourably known in and exported to all parts of the world.
Types of Materials
- Unpublished Material and Manuscripts
How to Access This Resource
XA1 MS A188, XA1 RHC A016
This collection is available for viewing on-site in Archival & Special Collections during our regular business hours.