Knowledge synthesis is an umbrella term for literature reviews that use transparent and reproducible methods to gather and synthesize research studies in order to answer a research question. Examples of knowledge synthesis reviews include:
- Systematic reviews – a review that seeks to answer a research question by identifying, selecting, critically appraising, and synthesizing all relevant research.
- Scoping reviews – a review that seeks to map the existing literature on a topic.
Services for U of G researchers
We provide training, expertise, and support to U of G researchers who are conducting knowledge syntheses. We can help you:
- Select an appropriate type of review
- Refine a review topic
- Understand review methodologies and logistics
- Develop a search strategy by choosing databases, generating keywords, and using controlled vocabulary, operators, and search modifiers
- Learn to extract and manage citations
Currently our service does not include:
- Conducting knowledge syntheses on behalf of researchers
- Executing searches
- Performing citation extraction or management
Covidence is a cloud-based review management software that facilitates the collaborative completion of knowledge syntheses. U of G Covidence accounts provide unlimited reviews, collaborators, and customer support.
Who can use Covidence?
- Covidence is available to all U of G and University of Guelph-Humber affiliated faculty, staff, students, alumni, and retirees.
- Alumni or retirees without a U of G email address? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are collaborating on a review with someone who is not affiliated with U of G, you can invite them to join your review. If they do not have a Covidence account, they will be prompted to create one free of charge, but they will not be able to create any reviews of their own.
- Connect with us to ask a question or to book an appointment.
- Find online self-help materials on conducting a systematic review
- Get help with Covidence:
- Learn the basics of Covidence on the Covidence Academy page
- Search the Covidence Knowledge Base for answers to common questions
- Join a monthly live Covidence 101 webinar or watch a recent recording
- Email email@example.com
- Learn more about our appointments.
We offer workshops on citation management software, such as Zotero and Mendeley, conducting systematic reviews, and more.