Writing Resources & Workshops
Your development as a writer is an ongoing process, whether you are writing your first university paper, completing your doctoral dissertation, or writing a research article for publication.
Writing experts provide support to University of Guelph undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, faculty, and visiting scholars seeking to improve their writing skills.
Writing appointments are available every semester.
We also offer support for writing English as an Addition Language every semester. French writing appointments are available during the fall and winter semesters.
We help you develop your writing skills by:
- Providing feedback on your drafts.
- Answering questions about writing in specific disciplines or genres.
- Recommending strategies for organizing your ideas and structuring your essay, thesis, paper, or chapter.
- Advising on clarity, cohesion, and style.
Services for faculty and instructors
- We provide writing workshops for faculty, staff, TAs, and students. To request a writing workshop for your class or department, please complete the Workshop Request Form.
- Browse our online workshop modules on popular topics such as academic integrity, academic writing, and project management for writing projects. Log into CourseLink, click on Self Registration, and select Online Instruction Resources from the Library.
- Refer your students to us for academic integrity support. We help students understand academic integrity and prevent academic misconduct.
- We provide individualized support for faculty working on writing projects. We can help you:
- Review a grant for clarity and cohesion.
- Respond to reviewers’ feedback.
- Map the structure of a book proposal.
- Organize sections of a chapter.
- Create a realistic writing schedule.
- Prepare a writing plan for a sabbatical.
- We offer two workshops designed for faculty and instructors:
Book a consultation with our professional staff.
The Writing Room
Join our online writing rooms on Microsoft TEAMS and be a part of the University of Guelph writing community. Stay motivated to work on your writing projects by writing in the company of others. Rooms are open Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 10:00pm for all faculty, visiting scholars, and students at University of Guelph. For more information, see the Writing Rooms ONLINE schedule on WCOnline.
We offer free, confidential writing appointments to help you develop your writing skills.
For more information, view the video How to book a writing appointment.
We offer a variety of specialized workshops to help you develop your writing skills.
- Academic Writing
- Citations and Bibliographies
- French Academic Writing
- Gathering and Reading the Literature
- Inclusive and Antiracist Writing
Questions? Contact us.