Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Is the library open?
- How do I request a book in Omni?
- How long does it take to get the books I need?
- Where do I return my books?
- How do I get course reserve material?
- Can I request items from other university libraries?
- How many items can I take out at once?
- How long can I borrow an item for?
- Can I access resources when I’m off campus?
- How do I report an issue with library spaces or services?
- How can I pay my overdue fines?
- How do I print in the library?
- Do I have to wear a mask in the library?
- Is food allowed in the library?
- Whom do I contact about issues with my library account?
- I’ve requested some library books, but I don’t have my student ID yet. What should I do?
- How do I get an alumni or community borrower library card?
- How do I connect to the Wi-Fi?
- Can I reserve a study space?
- Can I bring animals into the library?
- Can I hand out information about my club or event in the library?
- Does the library have a lost and found?
- Where can I find a stapler?
- Can I participate in my online course (remote learning) in the library?
Search the library collection in Omni.
- Once you have found the item you'd like to request, sign in and then click "Request."
- Under "Pickup Location" select the location you would like to pick up the book. The main campus library in Guelph is "McLaughlin Library."
- You will receive an email with more information once your item(s) is ready.
- For McLaughlin Library pickups, your item(s) will be available under your last name on the shelves behind the Ask Us Desk in the library.
Requests for items from one of the other libraries in the Omni consortium take approximately 3-5 business days to arrive. You will be notified by email when it's available for pickup. Requests for items outside the Omni consortium may take longer, depending on the lending library.
There is a book return inside the main entrance. Books can also be returned 24/7 behind the library by the loading dock (around the back of the library, near the Summerlee Science Complex).
Books can also be returned to any Omni partner library.
Yes. Current U of G students, staff and faculty can request physical items from Omni partner libraries.
- Request items through Omni.
- Select your pickup location. You can choose pickup locations at other Omni partner libraries as well.
- You will receive an email notification when the item is ready. (Note: the email comes from the library you requested the item from).
Most users can borrow up to 500 items, including 2 DVDs at a time.
See our Borrowing Policy for more information.
Most users can borrow:
- Books for 120 days
- DVDs for 14 days
See Borrowing Policy for more information.
Yes. Registered U of G students, faculty, and staff can access library resources via Omni (and other databases) from anywhere at any time. Sign in to get full access.
- Community borrowers cannot login to Omni due to licensing restrictions imposed by online publishers
- Alumni have online access to a subset of our electronic resources
- Registered distance education students, see Distance Education
- For users affiliated with the university, please see Sponsored Users and the Service Summary Table; please note the sponsoring department or unit on campus is responsible for requesting sponsored accounts - this is not done by the Library
Library fines can be paid in-person using debit, Visa or Mastercard or over the phone using Visa or Mastercard. Contact us.
You may print, scan, or photocopy. Please load money onto your printing account online via Papercut. We do not accept cash onsite.
- Printers/Photocopiers can be found on the first floor, near the public computers
- Find instructions on using the printers including how to load money onto your account
Masks are not required in the library. Many of our community members will still choose to wear a mask while in our facilities. As a community, let’s support one another’s decisions and remember that each person’s situation is unique.
With the lifting of this requirement, the need for self-monitoring becomes even more important. Remember, if you’re sick, stay home!
Yes, food and drink are both permitted in the library.
If you are a new student and have not been issued your U of G ID card, you may not yet have been entered into our library system. Library staff will need to create a temporary library account for you before you can get your books. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alumni may request electronic access to some U of G e-resources. Community borrowers and Alumni can explore our Open Access resources.
- Students, faculty and staff can connect to the Wi-Fi through a laptop or tablet with an 802.11 a/g/n/ac compatible wireless network card (most newer laptops come with this capability built-in) and a University of Guelph central login account.
- Still stuck? Learn more about how you can access the wireless network or visit the IT Help Desk in the library
- Most seating is available on a first come, first served basis.
- U of G students, faculty, and staff can book study rooms.
- Graduate students can book one of 15 closed study offices for up to four hours each day.
- Service dogs are welcome in the library
- Pets are not permitted
- Yes, the lost and found is located near the front entrance on the first floor, beside the book return bin.
Yes, you can. You may bring your laptop to attend your online courses. You can also find library computers in the basement and on the second floor.