Love Data Week is an international celebration of data that takes place each year during the week of Valentine’s Day – this year it’s celebrated from Feb. 12 to 16, 2024. This year’s theme is “My Kind of Data.” To celebrate Love Data Week 2024, we’re all invited to make time to learn about data equity and inclusion, disciplinary communities, and creating a kinder world through data. It’s also an opportunity to celebrate our mutual love of data.
Supporting Your Data Needs at U of G
At the library, we want to highlight the many data related services we have that support you in your time at U of G. Whether you’re a student or a researcher, we have resources available for you. We have a variety of services designed to help you navigate your way through the research data lifecycle, including:
- Research Data Management (RDM) Support – We’ll help you through the organization, documentation, storage, and maintenance of your research data throughout the research process.
- Data Collection & Surveys – we’ll help you find published data or create a survey so you can collect your own data.
- Data Cleaning & Preparation – we’ll teach you how to prepare your data for analysis and visualization; whether you’re working with data that you collected yourself, or data you found somewhere, we can help format it so it’s usable.
- Data Analysis – we’ll help you organize, analyze, interpret, and present quantitative or qualitative data using data analysis software (like R, SPSS, and NVivo)
- GIS Analysis – we'll help you find geospatial data and analyze it using Geographic Information System software.
- Text Analysis – we'll help you use computational and statistical techniques to analyze text in books, magazines, newspapers, film scripts, song lyrics, social media, and more.
- Data Visualization – we'll help you transform complex data into visualizations like graphs and infographics to make your data easier to understand.
- Publishing your data – once you’re ready to, we’ll support you in publishing your data in one of U of G’s repositories, which provide free, secure access and long-term preservation for your scholarly and creative works.
We’re here for all your data-related needs. Curious if we can help? Connect with us to ask a question or book an appointment.
Love Data Week Events
While we’re not hosting any U of G specific events this year, there are many that are listed on the International Love Data Week 2024 – List of Events webpage as open to the public and being held online. We’d specifically like to draw your attention to:
- Digital Research Alliance of Canada’s Humanities and Social Sciences Winter Series – Focusing on topics like data management plans, managing sensitive data, 3D visualization, and more!
- Electoral democracy data for all: Disciplinary sharing and reuse of public opinion research – Join Scholars Portal for Love Data Week 2024! In partnership with Borealis, Queen’s University, and the Canadian Opinion Research Archive (CORA), Scholars Portal is hosting a two-part virtual event about public opinion and election data in Odesi.
- Love Data Week 2024 – University libraries in British Columbia (SFU, UBC, UNBC, UVic) have collaborated to put on several workshops that are offered online and open to the public.
- Love Data Week with the University of Waterloo Library – a variety of data-related workshops are being offered via Teams and are open to the public.