Article Processing Charges (APCs) are fees charged to authors by some open access journals to defray the costs of editing and publishing.
Some libraries help researchers with an APC fund. We have chosen to focus on supporting a sustainable scholarly communication system which is not reliant on authors absorbing the costs of publishing.
We support alternative models such as a membership (like that offered by the Open Library of the Humanities). Continuing to pay at the article level is neither sustainable for a university with our research output, nor sound financial governance.
In most cases authors who publish in a traditional paywalled journal may deposit an open access version in the form of an accepted manuscript or preprint in a repository (such as U of G’s Atrium). Please contact us to find out how.
APC discounts for U of G authors
While the library does not have an APC fund, some of our negotiated publisher agreements provide the following discounts to University of Guelph authors:
- American Chemical Society Journals: $250 USD flat discount
- Cambridge University Press Journals: 100% discount
- For 2022-2024, U of G corresponding authors can publish open access at no charge in Cambridge hybrid and gold journals. This includes the following article types: research articles, review articles, rapid communications, brief reports, and case reports. The APC waiver is automatically applied when authors indicate their U of G affiliation during the submission process.
- Canadian Science Publishing (NRC Press) Journals: 25% discount
- Discount applied on all subscription-based journals for U of G corresponding authors
- Cogitatio journals: 100% discount
- For 2022-2024, U of G corresponding authors can publish open access at no charge in Cogitatio journals.
- Company of Biologists: 100% discount
- For 2022-2024, U of G corresponding authors can publish open access at no charge in Company of Biologists journals.
- Elsevier: 20% discount
- As per the CRKN agreement, from January 2021 to December 2023, U of G corresponding authors are eligible for a 20% APC discount for both hybrid and gold Elsevier journals (Cell Press, Lancet, and some other society-owned journals are excluded). Authors must specify their U of G affiliation in the publisher’s journal workflow.
- Institute of Physics: 100% discount
- MDPI Journals: 10% discount for U of G affiliated authors
- MDPI Open Access Books: 10% off Book Publishing Charges (BPCs) for U of G affiliated authors
- Microbiology Society Journals: 100% discount
- U of G corresponding authors can publish open access at no charge in Microbiology Society Journals. To be eligible, authors must use their U of G email address during the submission process.
- PLOS Biology and PLOS Medicine: 100% discount
- As of January 1, 2021, U of G authors can publish in PLOS Biology or PLOS Medicine without paying APC charges, as a result of our participation in the PLOS Community Action Publishing Program. Other PLOS journals are not included at this time.
- Sage Journals: 100% discount in select SAGE Choice journals; 40% discount for most SAGE gold open access journals
- As of January 1, 2021, University of Guelph authors may publish their articles as open access in over 900 SAGE Choice journals (journals excluded from SAGE Choice) without paying Article Processing Charges (APCs). For most SAGE gold open access journals, a 40% APC discount applies. The waiver or discount is automatically applied when authors indicate their U of G affiliation during the submission process.
- Taylor & Francis: 25% discount
- Discount applied for Open Select Journals only