Article Processing Charges (APCs) are fees charged to authors by some open access journals to defray the costs of editing and publishing.
Some libraries help researchers with an APC fund. We have chosen to focus on supporting a sustainable scholarly communication system which is not reliant on authors absorbing the costs of publishing.
We support alternative models such as a membership (like that offered by the Open Library of the Humanities). Continuing to pay at the article level is neither sustainable for a university with our research output, nor sound financial governance.
In many cases authors who publish in a traditional paywalled journal may deposit an open access version in the form of an accepted manuscript or preprint in a repository (such as U of G’s Atrium).
APC discounts for U of G authors
While the library does not have an APC fund, some of our negotiated publisher agreements provide the following discounts to University of Guelph authors:
- American Chemical Society Journals: $250 USD flat discount
- Cambridge University Press Journals: 20% discount for U of G corresponding authors
- Canadian Science Publishing (NRC Press) Journals: The regular OpenArticle fee of $3000 per article in subscription-based journals is reduced to $1500 per article
- Elsevier: As per the CRKN agreement, from January 2021 to December 2023, U of G corresponding authors are eligible for a 20% APC discount for both hybrid and gold Elsevier journals (Cell Press, Lancet, and some other society-owned journals are excluded). Authors must specify their U of G affiliation in the publisher’s journal workflow.
- MDPI Journals: 10% discount
- PLOS Biology and PLOS Medicine: As of January 1, 2021, U of G authors can publish in PLOS Biology or PLOS Medicine without paying APC charges, as a result of our participation in the PLOS Community Action Publishing Program. Other PLOS journals are not included at this time.
- Sage Journals: As of January 1, 2021, University of Guelph authors may publish their articles as open access in over 900 SAGE Choice journals (journals excluded from SAGE Choice) without paying Article Processing Charges (APCs). For most SAGE gold open access journals, a 40% APC discount applies. The waiver or discount is automatically applied when authors indicate their U of G affiliation during the submission process.
- Taylor & Francis: 25% for Open Select Journals only