We help students and researchers find geospatial data and analyze the data using Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
Get started with ArGIS by ESRI
U of G faculty, staff, and students can obtain a site-licensed copy of ESRI software for use in learning, teaching, and research. It may only be used while you are employed or a registered student at the University of Guelph.
For general licensing information or to obtain a copy, go to the CCS Software Catalogue.
Log in with your U of G credentials and click on the tab "Institutional Use Only Software" where you will find the ARCGIS software for download.
Need help acquiring or installing software? Visit the Computing and Communication Services (CCS) supported products page
Connect with us to ask a question or to book an appointment.
Services for faculty & instructors
We can support your teaching with:
- In-class instruction on finding and analyzing geospatial data.
- Helping your students get started with ArcGIS.
- Beginner’s guide to geospatial data
- What is GIS
- Understanding projections and coordinate systems
- ArcGIS support documentation
- Get started with ArcMap
- Getting started with geoprocessing
- Getting started with spatial analysis (6-week free online course)
- ESRI provides the U of G community with many web courses and tutorials on ArcGIS. Contact us to access training materials marked "locked" or "requires maintenance."
- Find geospatial data in Scholars GeoPortal for Canadian geospatial data. Find more geospatial data.
- Citing geospatial data and software (Carleton University)
- Best practices in citation of cartographic materials (Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives)
- How to reference geospatial data, maps, atlases, air photos (Brock University)
- QGIS is the primary open source GIS software
- R is used in some disciplines for GIS analysis
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation (Wikipedia)
- Visit the Computing and Communication Services (CCS) supported products page for help acquiring or installing software.
We offer a variety of workshops to support your scholarship through the Data Skills workshop series.
There are no upcoming workshops at the moment. Check back soon for more, or browse our full workshop calendar to see the other workshops we offer.CalendarWorkshop descriptions