Your development as a writer is an ongoing process, whether you are writing your first university paper, completing your doctoral dissertation, or writing a research article for publication.
Writing experts provide support to University of Guelph undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, faculty, and visiting scholars seeking to improve their writing skills.
Writing appointments are available every semester.
We also offer support for writing English as an Additional Language every semester. French writing appointments are available during the fall and winter semesters.
We help you develop your writing skills by:
- Providing feedback on your drafts.
- Answering questions about writing in specific disciplines or genres.
- Recommending strategies for organizing your ideas and structuring your essay, thesis, paper, or chapter.
- Advising on clarity, cohesion, and style.
The Writing Room, located in room 133 on the first floor of the McLaughlin Library, is designed for academic writers to find quiet and comfort away from the busy happenings of campus. This room, equipped with 4 desks, is available for all faculty, staff, visiting scholars, and students at U of G.
When using the Writing Room, please bring your own materials (ie: laptop, paper, pens, etc.) and use headphones at low volume when listening to music.
To establish a routine, writers can reserve blocks of time up to a month in advance. Interested in using the Writing Room? Book your desk today!
We offer free, confidential writing appointments to help you develop your writing skills.
Services for faculty & instructors
- We provide writing workshops for faculty, staff, TAs, and students. To request a writing workshop for your class or department, please complete the Workshop Request Form.
- Browse our online workshop modules on popular topics such as academic integrity, academic writing, and project management for writing projects. Log into CourseLink, click on Self Registration, and select Online Instruction Resources from the Library.
- Refer your students to us for academic integrity support. We help students understand academic integrity and prevent academic misconduct.
- We provide individualized support for faculty working on writing projects. We can help you:
- Review a grant for clarity and cohesion.
- Respond to reviewers’ feedback.
- Map the structure of a book proposal.
- Organize sections of a chapter.
- Create a realistic writing schedule.
- Prepare a writing plan for a sabbatical.
- We offer two workshops designed for faculty and instructors:
Book a consultation with our professional staff.
- Academic Writing including Writing in the Sciences Interactive Modules
- Citations and Bibliographies
- French Academic Writing
- Gathering and Reading the Literature
- Inclusive and Antiracist Writing
Questions? Contact us.
We offer a variety of specialized workshops to help you develop your writing skills.