Perform Your Best During Exams with the Library
The library is here to help you approach your exams with confidence by providing you with strategies, tips, and resources that will help you master your course material and perform at your best.
Adopt Effective Study Strategies
By adopting effective study strategies that fit your your needs, you can make your study time more productive and efficient. Here are a few strategies from the library’s Learning Services that will help you learn and understand your course material:
- Travel review
- Use your time walking, running, or riding the bus to review lecture material. Think of the main lecture topics and recall as many important concepts as you can. This works best when done on the same day as the lecture.
- Write it down
- Without using your notes, write down everything you can remember about a slide or concept. Then fill in anything you’re missing with a different colour so you can see what you need to review.
- Become the teacher
- Find a family member or friend and teach them the material you’re studying as if they were your student. This will help you recall information, think deeply about the material, and explain the material in a simpler way.
- Five-day study plan
- Try the Five-Day Study Plan introduced by the Learning Strategies Center at Cornell University. The key to this plan is dividing your study material into chunks and mixing your studying time with review time.
- Active studying
- Dr. Richard Felder’s Test Preparation Checklist
- Created by Dr. Richard Felder, this Test Preparationn Checklist can help you build confidence when approaching exams and improve your test preparation.
Book a Studying Appointment
Book a studying appointment with Learning Services to get individualized support and guidance on building a strong study plan and managing your time effectively.
At the appointment, you can discuss:
- Maintaining motivation and staying organized
- Being more efficient and effective with your studying
- Interpreting feedback and learning from tests
- Strategies to prevent procrastination
Attend A Workshop
Here are some upcoming workshops that will prepare you for exams and care for your mental wellness:
Tips to Prepare for Final Exams
Join Learning Peer Helpers to learn the best tips for studying and preparing for final exams. The workshop will cover techniques to prepare for different types of exams (multiple choice, short answer, and essay questions).
Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 6 to 7 p.m. (Virtual)
Thriving in Action: Coping with Difficulties
In this session, you’ll develop skills in resilience and self-compassion and identify strategies to help you learn from exam errors and cope in stressful academic situations.
Thursday, April 7, 2022, 1 to 2:20 p.m. (In person)
Access Online Resources
We have tips and strategies for all your end of term assignments, exams, and papers available online. Check out these online library guides:
- Multiple Choice Exams
- Writing Essay Exams
- Short-Answer Exams
- Top Study Strategies
- Studying Effectively Guide
Ask us. We’re here to help.