Our building is currently closed but we are available to assist you online. If you have questions about developing or completing media assignments, please book an appointment with us.
About the Media Studio
The Media Studio provides access to state-of-the-art technology required for the creation of digitial projects. Our staff are here to support you in the development of digital literacy and media creation skills.
Support for students:
- Support for undergraduate and graduate students in developing digital literacy and media creation skills.
- Supports digital media assignments such as videos, digital storytelling, podcasts, blogging and more.
- Editing stations, a sound booth, equipment and software for creating digital media and a filming studio.
Services for faculty & instructors:
- Consulting on assignment design to integrate digital media into your courses. Our create digital assignments guide outlines the resources available to support your students.
- Reserving you access to web-based video creation accounts. A limited number of seats are available each semester.
- Creating a custom help guide for your students tailored to your assignment requirements.
Media related resources
Guides for Creating Digital Media:
- Create an animated video using PowToon
- Create a digital design with Canva
- Create a digital design with Piktochart
- Create a digital story
- Edit video: iMoive
- Edit video: WeVideo
- Film a good quality video on your smartphone
- Film a pitch video or video resume
- Find audio, images, and videos for remixing
- Learning video and filming basics
- Make your digital video projects accessible
- Make your video or digital content public
- Record a podcast
- Record audio interviews and film video interivews
- Record audio on your computer or phone
- Record audio with Audacity
Equipment and software
- An adjustable green screen
- Canon Rebels, including a 360 degree lense
- Professional lighting including 1 light box,
- A variety of camera lenses
- Shotgun microphone and mic packs (to record individual or multiple subjects)
- 1 Mac Recording Station
- Shure MV5 microphone
- Condenser Microphone
- Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Adobe After-Effects CC
- Adobe Media Encoder CC
- Adobe Prelude CC
- Apple IMovie
- Adobe Audition CC
- Apple GarageBand
- Adobe Animate CC
- Adobe Fireworks CS6
- Adobe Illustrator CC
- Adobe InDesign CC
- Adobe Muse CC
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Apple Pages
- Apple KeyNote
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC
- Adobe Lightroom CC
- Adobe Muse CC
- Microsoft Office
Need something we don't have? Let us know!
When is the Media Studio open?
- The filming studio, editing suite, and recording booth are open Monday to Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Editing Suites: Maximum of 2 hours back-to-back, max of 3 hours per week.
- Filming Studio and Sound booth: Maximum of 2 bookings per week, individual bookings are 75 minutes.
- Learn more about the Media Studio spaces.
Who can use the spaces?
- Priority is given to students in calsses the studio supports during the fall and winter semesters.
- Staff and faculty can contact us for special bookings.
- The space is not available to alumni or community members.
Can I borrow a camera and return it after I’m done?
- All equipment belonging to the Media Studio is for non-circulating use in the Filming Studio only.
- Students who plan to use the equipment must book the Filming Studio ahead of time and can only use the equipment with the supervision of Media Studio staff.
Can the spaces be used for commercial or paid work?
- The space may not be used for commercial or paid work.
- The spaces are intended to support the academic pursuits of the University of Guelph community.
Media Studio workshops
Visit the library's workshop page to read about the workshops we offer.