- Can I access resources when I’m off campus?
- Can I bring animals into the library?
- Can I hand out information about my club or event in the library?
- Can I participate in my online course (remote learning) in the library?
- Can I request a digitized copy of a physical item?
- Can I request items from other university libraries?
- Can I reserve a study space?
- Do I have to wear a mask in the library?
- Does the library have a lost and found?
- How can I pay my overdue fines?
- How do I access library resources through Google Scholar?
- How do I connect to the Wi-Fi?
- How do I get an alumni or community borrower library card?
- How do I get course reserve material?
- How do I print in the library?
- How do I report an issue with library spaces or services?
- How do I request a book in Omni?
- How long can I borrow an item for?
- How long does it take to get the books I need?
- How many items can I take out at once?
- I can't find the answer I'm looking for
- Is food allowed in the library?
- Is the library open?
- I’ve requested some library books, but I don’t have my student ID yet. What should I do?
- Where can I find a stapler?
- Where do I return my books?
- Whom do I contact about issues with my library account?
Can I access resources when I’m off campus?
Yes. Registered U of G students, faculty, and staff can access library resources via Omni (and other databases) from anywhere at any time. Sign in to get full access.
- Community borrowers cannot login to Omni due to licensing restrictions imposed by online publishers
- Alumni have online access to a subset of our electronic resources
- Registered distance education students, see Distance Education
- For users affiliated with the university, please see Sponsored Users and the Service Summary Table; please note the sponsoring department or unit on campus is responsible for requesting sponsored accounts - this is not done by the Library
Can I bring animals into the library?
- Service dogs are welcome in the library
- Pets are not permitted
Can I hand out information about my club or event in the library?
- Not at this time. See our Building Use policy
Can I participate in my online course (remote learning) in the library?
Yes, you can. You may bring your laptop to attend your online courses. You can also find library computers in the basement and on the second floor.
Can I request a digitized copy of a physical item?
In accordance with the University’s copyright guidelines, current U of G students, faculty, and staff may request that a portion of a physical item in our collection be digitized.
See our Books page for instructions on how to request a digitization.
Can I request items from other university libraries?
Yes. Current U of G students, staff and faculty can request physical items from Omni partner libraries.
- Request items through Omni.
- Select your pickup location. You can choose pickup locations at other Omni partner libraries as well.
- You will receive an email notification when the item is ready. (Note: the email comes from the library you requested the item from).
Can I reserve a study space?
- Most seating is available on a first come, first served basis.
- U of G students, faculty, and staff can book study rooms.
- Graduate students can book one of 15 closed study offices for up to four hours each day.
Do I have to wear a mask in the library?
Masks are not required in the library. Many of our community members will still choose to wear a mask while in our facilities. As a community, let’s support one another’s decisions and remember that each person’s situation is unique.
With the lifting of this requirement, the need for self-monitoring becomes even more important. Remember, if you’re sick, stay home!
Does the library have a lost and found?
- Yes, the lost and found is located near the front entrance on the first floor, beside the book return bin.
How can I pay my overdue fines?
Library fines can be paid in-person using debit, Visa or Mastercard or over the phone using Visa or Mastercard. Contact us.
How do I access library resources through Google Scholar?
Follow the steps here to configure Google Scholar to work with U of G library resources.
How do I connect to the Wi-Fi?
- Students, faculty and staff can connect to the Wi-Fi through a laptop or tablet with an 802.11 a/g/n/ac compatible wireless network card (most newer laptops come with this capability built-in) and a University of Guelph central login account.
- Still stuck? Learn more about how you can access the wireless network or visit the IT Help Desk in the library
How do I get an alumni or community borrower library card?
Alumni may request electronic access to some U of G e-resources. Community borrowers and Alumni can explore our Open Access resources.
How do I get course reserve material?
How do I print in the library?
You may print, scan, or photocopy. Please load money onto your printing account online via Papercut. We do not accept cash onsite.
- Printers/Photocopiers can be found on the first floor, near the public computers
- Find instructions on using the printers including how to load money onto your account
How do I report an issue with library spaces or services?
How do I request a book in Omni?
Search the library collection in Omni.
- Once you have found the item you'd like to request, sign in and then click "Request."
- Under "Pickup Location" select the location you would like to pick up the book. The main campus library in Guelph is "McLaughlin Library."
- You will receive an email with more information once your item(s) is ready.
- For McLaughlin Library pickups, your item(s) will be available under your last name on the shelves behind the Ask Us Desk in the library.
How long can I borrow an item for?
Most users can borrow:
- Books for 120 days
- DVDs for 14 days
See Borrowing Policy for more information.
How long does it take to get the books I need?
Requests for items from one of the other libraries in the Omni consortium take approximately 3-5 business days to arrive. You will be notified by email when it's available for pickup. Requests for items outside the Omni consortium may take longer, depending on the lending library.
How many items can I take out at once?
Most users can borrow up to 500 items, including 2 DVDs at a time.
See our Borrowing Policy for more information.
I can't find the answer I'm looking for
Is food allowed in the library?
Yes, food and drink are both permitted in the library.
Is the library open?
The library is open to everyone, including visitors and community members. Library hours.
I’ve requested some library books, but I don’t have my student ID yet. What should I do?
If you are a new student and have not been issued your U of G ID card, you may not yet have been entered into our library system. Library staff will need to create a temporary library account for you before you can get your books. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I find a stapler?
- Staplers can be found on the first floor, next to the printers
Where do I return my books?
There is a book return inside the main entrance. Books can also be returned 24/7 behind the library by the loading dock (around the back of the library, near the Summerlee Science Complex).
Books can also be returned to any Omni partner library.
Whom do I contact about issues with my library account?
Please contact us at email@example.com