The McLaughlin Library houses the largest public computing facility on campus comprised of desktop workstations.
At this time, the library has made the public computers on the first and second floors available for use on a first come, first served basis. No appointment is necessary.
- Public computers are located on the first floor, second floor and lower level (the lower floor is temporarily inaccessible to the public)
- Wireless internet is available throughout the library
- All public computers are able to print to the printer/copier/scanner stations
Accessing public computers
All library public computers require that you login in order to use them. Login to any library public computer using your Central Login Account, the same login and password you use for your University of Guelph email account.
Remote Access to Library Computers
- Library computers can also be used remotely to access to software that you may not have on your personal computer
- For more information visit Remote Access to Library Computers
Selected software list
Our public computers contain many software applications which are required by various courses. See below for a list of selected software titles installed on the computers in the library:
- Jaws and Zoomtext are on all computers throughout the library. For more information on adaptive software please see Library Accessiblity Services
- R, SPSS, SAS, and Matlab are available on all computers in the library
- ESRI, ArcView, ArcGIS are available in the Data Resource Centre
- ArcGIS is available on all public computers in the Library
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access are available on all library public computers
- Adobe Reader are available on all library public computers
Diagramming and Modelling
- Visual Paradigm
- USB Flash Drive
- E-mail to yourself
- Files can be saved temporarily to the S: drive. Please note: contents of the S: drive are cleared overnight
- Do not save files to the Desktop or C: drive as they will be lost when the computer reboots
Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) save copies of work every 10 minutes (autobackup) to the D: drive.
- To restore files after a reboot/power failure go to the D: drive and double-click on the most recent appropriately named file
- Contents of the D: drive are cleared overnight