Regular & Contract Positions
McLaughlin Library: a great library; a great place to work
Temporary part-time from January 4, 2021 to June 30, 2022
Closing Date: 2020 11 23
Temporary full-time from January 4, 2021 to June 30, 2022
Closing Date: 2020 11 23
Library Associate, Electronic Resources & Metadata
Collections & Content Team, McLaughlin Library
Two (2) Positions
Closing Date: 2020 12 02
Why Work Here?
- Advance your career at an innovative, research-intensive, service-driven organization
- Become part of a community of creative thinkers
- Tap into the tremendous expertise and resources across the institution
- Achieve personal satisfaction from helping others navigate their journey through higher education
About University of Guelph
The University of Guelph is one of the city’s largest employers. As an institution, U of G is dedicated to cultivating the essentials for quality of life on our planet – water, food, environment, health, community, commerce, culture and learning. The University community also shares a profound sense of social responsibility, an obligation to address global issues and a concern for international development.
Learn more about the history of the University of Guelph.
About the Library
The McLaughlin Library at the University of Guelph is a vital hub, central to life on campus. We are focused on collaboration, integration and innovation, whether through our national leadership in Supported Learning Groups or our #1 ranking by Maclean’s magazine for the relevancy and currency of our acquisitions for the past five years. We are a service-driven, learner-centred, research-intensive, make-the-world-a-better-place organization.
Learn more about the library including our Vision and Values, and Integrated Planning.
Fast Facts About McLaughlin Library
Find out some interesting facts about the McLaughlin Library.
About our Teams
McLaughlin Library is made up of a diverse group of people who are highly motivated to enhance all academic and research initiatives at the University. Guided by our Library Management Team, our teams are dedicated to meeting the needs of all library users. Learn more About our Teams and view our organisation chart.
Library Report Card
Every three years, McLaughlin Library surveys all students, faculty and staff to measure library service quality and user satisfaction. The LibQUAL + survey is developed and administered by researchers at Texas A&M University in partnership with the Association of Research Libraries. The library translates the findings of the survey into an easy-to-read report card that is shared with the U of G community. View the 2013 Library Report Cards results.
Staying Connected at the Library
Library Forum provides an opportunity for everyone to engage in broader library issues. This regularly scheduled meeting is open to all librarians and library staff and is known for its informal but informative atmosphere. Staff attend to network, contribute feedback on library projects, share team updates and discuss library directions.
The library also hosts a number of events which bring together various academic disciplines and campus departments, offering an opportunity for the exchange of ideas and perspectives and helping to foster innovation and collaboration.
McLaughlin Library and You
What You can Expect at Your Interview
- Transparency: you will be fully informed about the interview process, details of the position for which you are interviewing as well as our organization and culture
- A panel interview: expect to meet with a group of individuals as part of your interview committee
- Ability to ask questions: we understand that you may have questions for us and invite you to ask them
- Presentation: Some positions may require that you give a presentation as part of your interview process. If so, in order to be prepared, we will provide you with the presentation topic ahead of your interview day. Presentations are public, generally an hour in length and may be scheduled before or after the panel interview
- Technical assignment: for some positions we may include a technical assignment as part of the interview process and will inform candidates in advance
- Consistency: to ensure fairness, equality, and consistency, the same process and interview questions will be used with all candidates for a position
- Timely response and feedback: after your interview, we will follow up with you as soon as possible with our recruitment decision
- Accessibility accommodations available: We are prepared to offer candidates accommodation of their needs during any part of the interview process
How we Invest in You
The library is committed to the development of individuals, teams and the organization. By offering a variety of training and development opportunities, McLaughlin Library helps to foster continuous learning and career enhancement for its employees.
Eligible librarians have the benefit of study/research leave to commence after six years of continuous service (or its equivalent) since appointment at the University of Guelph. Study/Research leave is regarded as an essential means of enabling librarians to maintain and enhance their quality as scholars and professionals. In turn, these librarians are better able to help the University to maintain and enhance excellence through contributions to its learning, teaching, research and scholarship programs. For more information about study/research leave for librarians, visit Article 29 of the University of Guelph Faculty Association Collective Agreement (PDF - 868kb).
Total Compensation Philosophy at University of Guelph
Total compensation includes integrated programs and benefits that are provided to recognize the tremendous contributions of all employees to the institution's overall success. Additional information on the salary and benefits for librarians includes relocation assistance, research/study leave, and more.
Living in Guelph
The University is nestled in the centre of the Guelph – a vibrant community of over 120,000 people. The city is rich in culture and diversity and is just 100 km west of Toronto. Learn more about Life in Guelph.