Talk like an Academic
Talk Like and Academic provides academic communication support for graduate-level students with English as an additional language (EAL).
This program comprises seven two-hour workshops over seven weeks.
Participants will learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies for interacting in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios, including:
- Summarizing and discussing research in brief interactions with fellow academics
- Interacting with professors and/or advisors
- Interacting as TAs with students
- Participating in classroom and group work discussions
- Communicating in job interviews
- Conducting presentations and thesis defenses
- Talking about your research at conferences
- This program is offered in the winter semester. Registration opens in December.
- University of Guelph graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or visiting scholars with English as an additional language (EAL) are welcome.
- Participants should ensure they can attend all seven weeks of this program due to the cumulative nature of the content.