Dissertation Writing Retreat
What is Dissertation Writing Retreat (DWR)?
Formerly Dissertation Boot Camp (DBC), this one-week (Monday to Friday, 8:45am-4:00pm) program is designed to help graduate students accomplish their thesis writing goals and accelerate their time to completion. DWR offers graduate students focused and supported individual time to write, as well as lessons on writing issues and access to one-on-one support with writing experts.
Writing Services offers DWR once every semester. Each program accommodates 28-40 students per program.
*Please note: Until further notice, DWR will be offered fully online due to COVID-19.
When will the next DWR be offered?
The next DWR (formerly DBC) is scheduled for July 4 to 8, 2022. Fill out a DWR application form if you are interested in participating.
*Please note: participants are expected to attend all 5 days of the program.
What can you expect as a participant?
- Learn and practice good writing habits during morning and afternoon individual writing sessions
- Consult with our writing staff during individual check-in appointments to address any specific writing concerns and/or help create a personal writing plan
- Meet with staff from Learning Services and Research & Scholarship to access support for data management, time management, and publishing
- Participate in mandatory and optional writing workshops hosted over the course of the week (Mindful Ways of Writing; Thesis Structures and Thesis Mapping; Time Management and Goal Setting; Grammar and Style; Writing the Literature Review; Electronic Theses and Dissertations Submissions; and Author Rights)
- Engage with fellow students to share experiences and survival strategies
How are participants selected?
This program accepts applications from graduate students who:
- Have finished their coursework
- Have had their Thesis Proposal accepted (if this is their department's requirement)
- Need focused time and space for writing
- Have already started writing their MA thesis or PhD dissertation
Preference is given to PhD Candidates and to students at the Master's level who are enrolled in a thesis-based program. Preference is also given to those who have participated in our Brain Food: Getting Started on your Thesis workshop and who have not attended a previous DWR (formerly DBC).
How do I apply?
- Complete the DWR application form for Summer 2022.
- Deadline for application: Monday, June 13, 2022.
Missed the deadline?
Writing Services receives over 100 applications each semester for this program. Therefore, they are unable to process late applications. If the application form has closed, it will open again shortly for the next program.
What do participants say about DWR?
Check out this short video on the University of Guelph's Dissertation Writing Retreat (formerly DBC) program.
Questions? Ask Us!