We offer two modes of data workshops to suit your own learning preferences and needs:
Data Skills Immersion Program -on your own time
- Learn new data skills or get a refresher any time and at your own pace.
- Log into CourseLink, click on Self Registration, and select Data Skills Immersion.
Data Skills Workshops -live online with an instructor
- Learn from the pros with these live online workshops with an instructor.
- Register for an upcoming data skills workshop
Learn new data skills or get a refresher any time and at your own pace.
Log into CourseLink, click on Self Registration, and select Data Skills Immersion.
- Gain foundational knowledge of how to collect, manage, clean, analyze, and visualize all types of data.
- Practice your skills with real-world data using tools like Qualtrics, OpenRefine, SPSS, NVivo, ArcMap, Voyant, and Tableau.
- Build your skills and your resume!
- Earn a Grad Pathways Skills Development Certificate.
This program is organized into 9 modules:
- Data basics
- Data management
- Getting data
- Introduction to survey creation with Qualtrics
- Cleaning and preparing data (using OpenRefine)
- Analyzing data (using SPSS, NVivo, ArcMap, and ArcGIS)
- Analyzing text (using AntConc, Exploratory, Google Ngram, HathiTrust Bookworm, MALLET, Stanford NER, and Voyant)
- Visualizing data (using Excel and Tableau)
- Researcher stories
Learn from the pros and ask questions with these live online workshops.
Register for an upcoming data skills workshop
We offer the following workshops throughout the year:
- Introduction to Qualtrics - Creating Data With Online Surveys
- Advanced Survey Creation in Qualtrics - Creating Data With Online Surveys
- Cleaning & Preparing Data With Open Refine
- Introduction to GIS Using ArcMap
- Intro to GIS Part 2 - Intermediate - Data Analysis and Visualization
- Introduction to Text Analysis - Counting and Context
- Introduction to Text Analysis - Natural Language Processing
- Research Data Management
- RStudio Workshop Series-1: Introduction to RStudio
- RStudio Workshop Series-2: Data Manipulation and Wrangling in R
- RStudio Workshop Series-3: Data Analysis and Inferential Statistics
- RStudio Workshop Series-4: Data Visualization in RStudio
Learn to use Qualtrics, U of G’s online survey software, to explore the fundamentals of survey creation.
You will learn:
- How to create a Qualtrics account
- How to find and use Qualtrics tutorials and training
- How to create a basic Qualtrics survey
- Methodology tips for good survey design and common errors to avoid
- Using surveys for research data collection
- How to access your survey results
This workshop will explore the more advanced features of Qualtrics. You will learn how to:
- Create sophisticated surveys using display logic, piped text, loop & merge, timed questions, scoring, embedded data and randomization
- Use Survey Flow for complex projects
- Create and edit messages in your survey
To get the most out of this workshop, we recommend you start with the workshop Introduction to Qualtrics - Creating Data with Online Surveys first.
This workshop will teach you how to use the free open source tool, OpenRefine, to get messy data in order. You will learn how to:
- Import data
- Standardize data
- Filter, split, replace, and extract data
- Manipulate textual data
- Understand the ethics of cleaning data
In this workshop you will learn how to navigate ArcMap - a Geographic Information System (GIS) program for working with maps and geographic data.
You will learn:
- How to navigate ArcMap
- How to add data to a map
- Understand basic symbology and labelling, how to filter data, and how to create a finished map.
In this workshop you will learning how to navigate ArcGIS is a Geographic Information System (GIS) program for working with maps and geographic data.
- Discover the powerful analytical capabilities and features of ArcGIS.
- Work with tables and begin working with raster data.
This workshop will introduce “distant reading” techniques to uncover patterns in vast amounts of textual information.
- Get hands-on experience exploring text analysis tools such as Google Ngram, Voyant, and AntConc.
This workshop will introduce more complex text analysis concepts such as named entity recognition, sentiment analysis, and topic modelling.
- You will explore tools such as Sentiment, NER, and Topic Modelling Tool.
Learn how to present your data in visual format to make it more meaningful to your audience.
- Gain basic skills to make your data come to life using Tableau.
In this workshop, you will learn best practices to manage your data during the life of your research project and beyond.
- Ensure your data is preserved and protected from loss, corruption, and inadvertent exposure to people who shouldn't have access to it.
- Learn how to properly document your data to ensure you will interpret it correctly and not confuse various versions.
- Learn how and why you can make your data available for use by other scholars.
- Ensure your data will adhere to the requirements of funders and publishers.
R is an open source software that has has become very popular due to its power and capability to make research more reproduceable. Many disciplines are now using R as their preferred data analysis program; however, some might be intimidated by the programming skills required to use R.
By the end of this workshop you will able to:
- Navigate the R interface.
- Understand the basics of R programming.
- Know how to work with packages.
- Understand how to import data.
- Create basic descriptive statistics and frequency tables.
No prior knowledge of R is required to attend this workshop.
Raw datasets are often quite messy. Before you can begin data analysis, you'lll need to clean and prepare your data. This workshop will teach the fundamentals of using the tidyverse package which lets you manipulate columns and rows, filter and merge datasets, convert to different variable types, and create scales.
This workshop builds on the fundamentals learned in the workshop "Introduction to RStudio."
Learn how to conduct basic inferential statics using RStudio.
By the end of this workshop you will be able to conduct the following statistical tests:
- Independent sample t-test
- Paired Sample t-test
- One-way ANOVA
- Repeated Measures ANOVA
This workshop builds on the fundamentals learned in the workshops "Introduction to RStudio" and "Data Manipulation and Wrangling in R."
Learn how to create visualizations (graphs and plots) using the ggplot2 package. The package uses “grammar graphics” to add layers of tailored components to your graphs, allowing you to create highly customized plots.
Prior knowledge of RStudio learned through the workshop, "Introduction to RStudio", is recommended but not required.
You can also book an online appointment with us to receive personalized support to improve your data skills. When you meet with us, we can discuss your data project in more detail, and build on the skills you've already developed.