What is Dissertation Writing Retreat (DWR)?
Dissertation Writing Retreat is a one-week (Monday to Friday, 8:45am-4:00pm) program is designed to help graduate students accomplish their thesis writing goals and accelerate their time to completion. DWR offers focused and supported individual time to write, as well as lessons on writing issues and access to one-on-one support with writing experts.
We offer DWR once every semester. Registration is limited, so apply early.
When will the next DWR be offered?
- Online: April 15 - 19, 2024
What can you expect as a participant?
- Learn and practice good writing habits during morning and afternoon individual writing sessions
- Consult with our writing staff during individual check-in appointments to address any specific writing concerns and/or help create a personal writing plan
- Meet with staff from Learning Services and Research & Scholarship to access support for data management, time management, and publishing
- Participate in mandatory and optional writing workshops hosted over the course of the week (Mindful Ways of Writing; Thesis Structures and Thesis Mapping; Time Management and Goal Setting; Grammar and Style; Writing the Literature Review; Electronic Theses and Dissertations Submissions; and Author Rights)
How are participants selected?
This program accepts applications from graduate students who
- Have finished their coursework
- Have had their Thesis Proposal accepted (if applicable)
- Are stuck and require a different approach to writing
- Need focused time and space for writing
- Have started writing their MA thesis or PhD dissertation
- Are able to attend all five days
Preference is given to PhD Candidates and to students at the Master's level who are enrolled in a thesis-based program. Preference is also given to those who have participated in our Brain Food: Getting Started on your Thesis workshop and who have not attended a previous DWR. When filling out your application, please explain how you expect to benefit from the program and describe specific challenges you’ve encountered in writing your dissertation.
How do I apply?
- Apply for Winter 2024 online DWR program
- Deadline for applications: Friday, March 15, 2024
What do participants say?
Check out this short video on the University of Guelph's Dissertation Writing Retreat program.
Missed the deadline?
We receive over 100 applications each semester for this program. Therefore, we are unable to process late applications. If the application form has closed, it will open again when the next program has been scheduled.
Questions? Ask Us!